BritWeek and UK Trade & Investment are pleased to present the 2nd BritWeek UKTI Business Innovation Awards, which brings together and celebrates the diverse UK-California business community. Awards recognizing outstanding innovations in Design, Technology and Service Provision will be presented at a special dinner at the Fairmont San Francisco Hotel, as part of the 2011 BABC Conference.
Businesses with joint operations in the UK and California will be recognized for their achievements in innovation before an audience of elite international commercial players, as well as the wider California business community.
Each applicant must submit an essay (of no more than 1000 words) illustrating how his/her company’s advances in design, technology or service have improved products, experiences and/or services.
Applications will be judged by a panel of renowned innovators and experts, including Maggie Shiels of the BBC, internationally recognized creativity guru Sir Ken Robinson, and Silicon Valley venture capitalist and founding partner of Pond Ventures Richard Irving.
Advertise in the Program Book and showcase your company’s products and services to a diverse group of business professionals eager to network with like-minded companies doing business in the US and UK.
Platinum Level: $15,000
Platinum partners will receive a speaking slot at the awards dinner, one full-page advertising space (inside front or back cover) of the awards dinner program, their logo or corporate video on the awards presentation screen, as well as a table for 10 guests.
Gold Level: $7,500
Gold partners will receive a full page advertising space in the awards dinner program, their logo or corporate video on the awards presentation screen, as well as a table for 10 guests.
Silver Level: $3,500
Silver partners will receive a full table for 10 guests at the awards dinner and a half page advertising space in the awards dinner program.
Table of 10: $2,000 Additional sponsorship opportunities are available, including the sponsorship of the cocktail reception and advertising in the event program.
For more information or to become a sponsor, contact:
Business Development Associate (Technology), UK Trade & Investment
1766 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1200 • Los Angeles, California 90025
Tel: +1 (310) 481 2914 • Email InnovationAwards@britweek.org
1. Agreement to Official Rules for the 2nd BritWeek UKTI Business Innovation Awards Contest (“Contest”): The winners of the Contest will be announced at the 2011 BABC Conference Gala Dinner at The Fairmont in San Francisco on Thursday, May 12, 2011. By participating in the Contest, all entrants agree fully and unconditionally to these Official Rules and that all of the Organizers’ (that is BritWeek, UKTI) decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. All entrants must fulfill all the requirements set forth herein.
2. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to Companies with legal entities or operations in both the United Kingdom and California at the time of entry. However, a California or United Kingdom Company will be eligible if it is doing business in both locations.
3. Timing: The Contest ends on March 31, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. PT (the "Contest Period"), unless otherwise extended by the organizers.
4. How to Enter: During the Contest Period, visit www.britweek.org/2011/InnovationAwards and follow the links and instructions to complete and submit the registration form, including a valid business address. P.O. Boxes are not permitted. Then, follow the directions to download an Application to nominate an appropriate Company. Complete the Application in its entirety, including the name of the Company you seek to nominate, its address, a contact at the Company, a brief description of the core business or services it offers, your name, your title or role, your applicable contact information and the category for which you would like to submit an Essay nominating the Company. The categories are: (1) Design, (2) Technology and (3) Service Provision.
The Essay must discuss how an innovation derived from the Company you nominated in the respective category in Paragraph 4 has improved products, experiences and/or service provision. Email the completed application and one (1) Essay discussing the theme set forth above for the category you selected to InnovationAwards@britweek.org. Each complete Application and Essay emailed will be deemed a nomination (the "Nomination"). You may nominate a business you own or with which you are affiliated as a third party. By uploading your Nomination, you agree that it conforms to these Rules and that the Organizers may disqualify you from the Contest if they believe, in their sole discretion, that your Nomination fails to conform to the Rules.
The Nomination must be in English;
The Nomination must be in text format; and
The essay portion of the Submission must not exceed one thousand (1,000) words in length
The Nomination must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright or trademark infringement;
The Nomination must not contain text that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
The Nomination must not contain text that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
The Nomination must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where Nomination is created or sumbitted.
Limit: Each entrant may nominate one (1) unique business during the Contest Period. Nominations received from any person or email address in excess of the stated limit will, at the discretion of the Organizers, be void. Entrant must have permission from all individuals that are mentioned in the Nomination (if any) to use their name and likeness in the Nomination and to grant the rights set forth herein. If requested, entrant must be able to provide such permissions in a form acceptable to the Organizers. Uploading a Nomination constitutes entrant’s consent to give Organizers a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Nominations in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant will sign any documentation required for Organizers or their designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Nomination.
5. Semi-Finalist and Winner Determination: After the conclusion of the Contest Period, a panel of qualified judges determined by the Organizers in their sole discretion will select three (3) nominees from each category from among all eligible Nominations received for the respective category (the "Semi-Finalists") and the potential winner per category from among the Semi-Finalists selected for the respective category based on an Application of the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
Grammar and mechanics (35%);
Fit to Contest Theme of how innovation has improved technology, business and/or service provision (55%).
In the event of a tie for either a Semi-Finalist or winner position, the Company featured in the Nomination that received the higher score in the Creativity category, as determined by the qualified judges in their sole discretion, will be deemed the applicable Semi-Finalist or the winner of the applicable award. Organizers reserve the right to select fewer than the stated number of Semi-Finalists or winners, if, in their sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Nominations.
6. Nominee and Winner Requirements: A representative of the Company featured in the winning nomination will be notified by mail, email or phone prior to the 2011 BABC Conference Gala Dinner on Thursday, May 12, 2011 (Gala Dinner); potential winners will be notified in person during the Gala Dinner. Acceptance of any award shall constitute and signify winner’s agreement and consent that Organizers and their designees may use the winner’s, name, city, state, likeness, Nomination and/or other pertinent business information in connection with the Contest for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. Without limiting the generality of these Official Rules, winner shall irrevocably grant, transfer, convey and assign to Organizers the entirety of the rights in and to the Nomination and all renewals and extensions of copyright, and the right to secure copyright registrations thereto in perpetuity including, without limitation, the rights to use the Nomination for any and all purposes in any and all media whether now known or hereafter developed, on a worldwide basis, in perpetuity. Winner accepts and acknowledges that Organizers shall not be obligated to use the Nomination and that Organizers in their sole discretion shall have the right to refrain from using the Nomination. Organizers shall not incur any liability whatsoever to the extent Organizers choose to refrain from any exploitation of its rights hereunder. All entrants, nominees and winners will indemnify Organizers, affiliates, agents and licensees against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of this Contest in any manner.
7. Awards:THREE (3) AWARDS (one (1) award per category set forth in Section 4, above): Special recognition to the winning company for achievement and its contribution to business and a commemorative award. Each award has no monetary value. Awards are non-transferable and no substitution will be permitted unless Organizers, in their sole discretion, determine otherwise.
8. Release: All entrants, nominees and winners agree to release and hold harmless the Organizers and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and award suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any award.
9. General Conditions: Organizers reserve the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Organizers in their sole discretion. If terminated the Organizers may, in their sole discretion, determine the winners from among all non-suspect, eligible Nominations received up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Organizers, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any individual or Company it finds to be tampering with the Nomination process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or those of any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Nominations. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Organizers reserve the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Organizers’ failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
10. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Nomination process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading or the processing or judging of Nominations; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest (including any travel/activity related thereto). Released Parties are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Nominations or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third party use of any Nomination.
11. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any award awarded shall be resolved by Binding Arbitration through the American Arbitration Association in Los Angeles by a sole Arbitrator according to its Rules; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules.